Monday 19 January 2009

Hearing speeches through C.I

Hearing speeches through the cochlear implant after a month do sound a little strange if not practice speeches with anyone. A little confidence do go a long way. I was happy that I finally get to see my family again over the weekend so I was told to go to Fylde to meet me mam as she was coming to stay at her friend's place. I took the train and was hearing all sort of sounds that I never knew it was suppose to happen. The sound of the trains door making beeping noises. I remember constantly pressing the button to get out but the button won't be active until the beep. Ah well. Now I know!

Anyway, got to see me mam and her friend, then we got talking all evening. The more I talk and the more I listen to people voices. Although I can't tell the difference of the tones yet as they all sound the same at the moment. A bit rubbish that! I knew me mam's voice is deep but I was not hearing it in the way that I knew of. I guess the wide of tones will come in time.

I asked me mam to do this test that we used to do as part of my training to pronounce the words better. Something fun but clever. This test really do help me speak better as time come.

Betty boughts a bit of butter,
But she found the butter bitter,
So she boughts a better butter,
To make a bitter butter better.

I had to said it faster and faster until I was confidence enough to know that I have said it right and clearly. Believe me its work! Please try out few rhymes.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper,
A peck of pickled pepper Peter Piper Pickled,
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper
Where's the peck of pickled pepper Peter Piper picked?

Here is another from Elvis Presley's lyric in Queenie Wahine

Queenie Wahine's Papaya rates higher than pineapple, pumpkin or poy
Please pick her papaya put Queenie Wahine in perfect perpetual joy
'Though some people's palates prefer pickled salads
For pudding pick popcorn peach pie
Oh Queenie's papaya you'll truly desire
When that Queenie Wahine passes by

Let me know how'd you get on! :D


No comments: