Thursday 18 September 2008

My view before being implanted

Hey everyone,

Thought I should start the blog  about my journey to the cochlear implant.  Some of you already know that I will be having the operation very soon. Date have not yet been confirmed.  

I wanna write about my view of sound that I do hear with my hearing aids and how i can look back to this after i had the implant switched on.  Thought its a great idea. Don't you think?  Glad you agree with me.

The sound that I can hear right now i am in my room in Manchester 2nd floor apartment. The window is open and i can hear the sound of the traffic going by all the time. mostly the sirens go off all the time. I can tell the difference between the police, ambulance and fire engine sirens.   if you don't know the difference well I could explain.  The ambulance sound like wailing  its sound goes up high and went low again in a slow pace.    fire engine is nee naw nee naw most of the time. the police was tricky one  to explian really  they have two sort of sounds.  one of them is waazz wazz and its very loud. very annoying. i had to shut my window to block it.  the other one   .... i can't remember ...  need the police siren to come back so i could tell you.   i will come back to you on this.  
my door to the hallway is behind me and i could hear my flatmate and my neighbour (both hearing) chatting in the kitchen.  don't ask me what they said coz i dunno.  i just know who is talking by the tone of their voice. thats how i can managed to hear things set by tone.

the more i am used to that tone the more i understand it.

I am very much a music lover. music is a great passion of mine. I do hear music but hearing the lyrics for the first time is very hard to understand so bascially most of my life i had to learn the lyrics over and over til i knew all the words. its may be annoying to some people hearing same song all the time but in the long run i was tuning myself in to this song.  understandly the meaning of the song and lyrics to go with it. the tone of the lead vocal singing in low and sad or high when they are reaching out that kind of message. it gave me a shiver with the hair standing up on my neck. its that powerful. 

Oh i would love to compare how this song will be like with the implant.  Most of you called CI but i rather called them implant   as in computering term word (I'm a geek, incase you dunno.  yea a cool geek:)  )    I will let you know my view after i hear some music with the implant.  can't wait
Coldplay is really cool band and i would love to go to their concert.  most of the time in the past I went to concert to see Robbie williams, Ant & Dec, Scissor sisters and many more  I used my hearing as an excuse to get to the front.  It worked and i lipsread the artist most of the way so that I could understand what they were singing or talking about.   some i missed out of course.  

I went to music festival couple of times and i have enjoyed but  i missed out quite a lot..... :(  the sound was too loud for me to adapt what was happening and had to relies on what my friends were singing a long to.  not much fun but after few drinks and it goes in to your head   what does it matter anyway? :)  

Get down to the sound   was the quote from bill and ted movie. incase u didn't know!
its also from a song in heavy metal band. awesome!  

sound i can hear are mostly background noises but if the background is loud and a person is talking to me..... forget it  i can't hear this person no chance.    i was trying to train my brain to focus on this person with my hearing but had no luck. i have 4 settings on my hearing aids.  set one normal sound. set 2  cut off background (to make it quiet)  set 3 T loop system  mainly use this to listen to my ipod cable free T-link set 4 fm  direct connect   suppose to use ipod for this but i hate being connect to anything.   unless I am in places where t loop system will cause feedback which mean i won't hear music from my ipod.
for the first time I will be using the fm setting when i go on plane to aus in a month time.  i just hope my ears will handle the air pressure on the plane for a long time as i had many bad experience in the past. the pressure to my ears was unbearable painful and discomfort.  I switched off my hearing aids while on the plane as i find the noises too much plus the batteries seem to ran out very quickly.  

must leave a note to myself here......... Manda....... remember to bring your spare batteries!!!!! 

i could write forever about sound that i hear but i won't brag about it right now....     just looking at my blog..... its quite long to read.  ah well  I hope this doesn't bored you.  Happy Reading.

Manda
www.aegphotos.co.uk

2 comments:

Ambience said...

Thanks for giving us a wonderful insight into your hearing world.

This will be a big help for all people who think they can hear but are not listening.

We look forward to sharing your journey.

Ian & Irene

Anonymous said...

I love that you use your hearing as an exuse to get to the front! LOL. I went to a U2 concert but only the once as I couldn't hear a thing, there were too many people screaming. Then there were these tall guys in front of me and so I couldn't see anything either. I was not happy!