Thursday 18 September 2008

Test yourself

At last a challenge that I would like you all to test yourself. even I test my own hearing.
I said I would challenge you, so here is it.

Few months ago I met this young lad called Steve and he is my third person who have the implant and probably the only one who have the harmony product.   I've arranged my hearing friends and Steve to come along to the pub..  now I'm getting dangerous here.  PUB =  Noise   lots of it!   

In the Pub  we normally hear lots of crashing sound coming from the kitchen or shouting,  tv, loudspeaker ----  very common for us as its drown all the speeches.  anyway... My friends were questioning Steve about what he hears from his implant and were very keen to know. Hearing people tend to find it shocking and have no idea how sound would sound like to us.  its impossible to explain.     
so this test I was saying,  imagine yourself in the pub or in a noisy place.  Close your eyes.   and get someone to say some simple word...  not "Can you hear me?" kind of crap    just random words and you will have to repeat what the person say to you.  I have tried with my hearing aids and I failed.   But steve with the implant... my goodness.... he got them all right..  my friends were very impressed..   They are keen to have me to do the test once i have the implant!  steady down my friends i said. I explained that it would take me some time to work some sound out after the implant. Steve have been implant for 8 years i think so basically he has lots of practices.

Well Done Steve.  

Let me know if any of you have tried the test and what was the outcome!  its a great test.

Manda 

xx

3 comments:

Abbie said...

Hi! Welcome to blog land :) I just read this post about Steve Harmony's doing a fantastic job in noise and I can totally contribute to how well I can hear in noise. I've only had the implant for a year, yesterday :) If you check out my latest blog post you will see a one year chart of how I progressed and you will notice how well I perform in noise and with these test, I can't cheat with lipreading. How far along are you with your evaluation or do you have a surgery date? I have a couple of other bloggers that are located in England, one is Katie-Louise CI Journey and the other is Laura's Medical Journey. I think another one might be Charlotte too :) I'm looking forward to your journey back to sound :)

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

Welcome to blogger!! :D I look forward to readin your blog!! :) Laura x

Manda said...

welcome abbie and laura. looking forward to hear ur view on anything I have mentioned. gonna read your now!!! :)