Tuesday 30 September 2008

Source of my new service

Thought I write a post about my service for a change since its been on my mind in the last few days.  

The last few days I have been thinking about advertising in number of places with the deaf charity , RNID, SEE Hear, Deaf News and they are all asking like lot of money to place the ads apart from see hear (emailed them 8 times but still no respond)

You may be wondering what I am doing wrong... basically I think I know why.  I grew up being in hearing world with no connection or any idea what deaf connection there were until now. I've joined the yahoo site about the cochlear implant recommend by Alison from facebook.  I thought it was interesting how people get together and talk about their experience I've never knew existed.  Its lovely to have that little connection.  

Anyway, I had few people saying that my new service with subtitles are excellent idea and only wish they had it few years ago.  Well what can I said?   I was still in Uni back then :P

How I came up with this idea is that I met a girl who used to be my best friend in primary school and had not seen her for 15 years.  She has got married a year before and were showing me her wedding album and then the DVD slideshow provided by another photographer.  
The DVD slideshow were very nice. lovely music, singing softly,  showing all the colour images  (not much effect I would say) just simple looking kind)  then half way through the DVD , it was showing the speeches. My friend, then fast forward it. 

 "Wait an minute, what are you doing?" I said
"Sorry, but I dunno what was being said. Its no point for me to watch through all that"  she says.

This got me thinking.....   She got an wedding album, a dvd slideshow with images and speeches that she will never know what was being said.    isn't that a waste of money to have speech on it if she can;t hear what was being said?   

So I went away, did some research looking for subtitles service in weddings.  nope not one.  
I believe it is time for a new change. plus  I hear there is a lack of funding for the deaf charity, deafness research. They are always looking for funding, new service, new staff, support, technology, spaces, notetakers, hospital funds.  The list just go on.  I remember growing up and i was in main stream school   and I was supposed to have a notetaker in my classes which I didn;t received.  This is coz of lack of staff and funding.  Apparently I did very well with some help from my hearing friends.  Thanks mates! :)

Subtitles test -  to be honest.... I self taught myself on how to get subtitles on the videos, movies and everything.   So now that I am ready for the challenge..... This is where I need you all to come in...

You know a lot of people who  would be interested in having subtitles on their dvd slideshow.
Please download this image which its a flyer  and you can then pass them around to people or give a link to this blogspot or to my website.  Bear in mind, that the first 100 customers will get subtitles free. So don't miss out.

I'm not doing it for me.. alright I enjoy the challenges. Thats all I want really.  
The real reason is to help people like us who will be growing up having the most available support they will be needed.  

 Together we will make the difference.



No comments: