Sunday 21 September 2008

Sorry what?

Here is me sitting thinking about last night and  I feel a little glum about it.

I went to the gig taking photos of the band as requested. There were few people about, chatting sound, some young lads playing on stage making vroom , wailing sounds from their guitar and vibration loud bangs from the drums. The audience were nodding their heads as if they were agreeing with the music.   whenever the band were not playing the dj will play some music as a "break"   This is where people startled to come up to me.  

Some people never knew i had hearing loss  which in my case was nice. Some of them knew I have hearing loss but always forget as soon as they come up to me and talk to me  by my ear.  How am I suppose to lipsread that?   never mind hear! its so loud. I got echo, wailing, massive vibration going on.  what am i suppose to do? ask the sound checker and dj to turn down the volume and people would hate me.  mmm hate sound a bit harsh...     Nope ... Some of these people who knew me remember that I can only lipsread in the noises envoirnment but they couldn't hear me when I try to talk to their ear. I was "too quiet" or have "high pitch" voice.  Interesting (!)

Isn't it interesting when the background noise is so loud and my voice automatic go to quiet mode as if i was whispering,  then when the background is all clear i am loud? or normal?  whichever the case it... why is it doing this?

I was told to turn my voice  "volume up".  I don't know any difference.  especially in the noises places!

anyway, the band I took the photos for, was hoping that I would stay behind after their gigs so they could hang out with me... mind you they are bunch of 19 years old lads and I'm 27 years old.    yea go figure.  I just have a txt message that the bass player fancy me.  oooh er!   nice to have admirer! lol

As much as I love going to bars and gigs, its always difficult to hear what people says.  I switched my hearing aids to setting 2  ie cutting off the background but its doesn't always turn down the background noise enough.  My mate and I went out looking for a nice place with controllable volume background. So we found Kro bar in Manchester,  lots of people but the background noise wasn't too bad. At least I could hear my voice!!   

I even had some guys went up to me and said   "Nice camera, can I have your number?"       geez  I get this alot

So here is me thinking......   implant....   how will i compare this to what i have just experienced..
Will this improve when i have the implant... (I know  lots of practices )   
if a person speak to my ear where the implant will be... will I hear?
so many questions  and i just can not wait to compare it.

Have patience Manda... The force is with you ..... always...

2 comments:

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

haha i know the feeling, turning up the volume makes no difference with our CI's as if we did it would turn up the background noise as well!! Shows how some people dont really understand unless they go through it too. I am ALWAYS saying "sorry what"

Ambience said...

Great reading...........I'm enjoying the learning experience.

This would be a good training manual for those of us who have no understanding of life with hearing difficulties.

Let it rip Manda.....you have a great style. Humorous and easy to read.