Monday 8 December 2008

Communication Technology

Keeping in touch with people is a big deal for everyone. In the oldest days, everyone write a letter to their love ones no matter where they are. The postman was invented during the war to encourage the soldiers spirit up while they fight for their country. Then Morse code & Telegram came along which was the newer technology to get the urgent information faster. As I think about the past, information were pretty much pass on via word by mouth. How do a deaf person pick up all these information quickly as possible? I won't have a clue.  Were people back then speak more freely than we do these days?

I am glad I was not born in the oldest day. I must admit I love my gadgets. I need them for staying in touch with people, friends, family and business alike.

Most of us know we need our Mobile which provide SMS, online msn or facebook. or even youtube. we couldn't live without it. Why not use the land line? Its far too complicated. We don't just pick the phone up and dial the number. We can't hear it without special equipment. The much volume was needed. I have a text phone although I do not know anyone who have a textphone and have never used it for over 6 years. Its like an alien to me. There is some kind of service who tell the caller what we typed and type back what the caller have said. This is called TypeTalk. Although the service have not been good as far as I am aware of, its just not a best way to stay in touch with someone who are relative via typetalk and talk for hours. won't it be awkward having someone reading our private information? Nah this doesn't sound good.


Recently, I have been using Skype which its another way of communication. Similar to Msn but better video and great sound. I may have got out of the hospital over a week ago and I still have one hearing aid on. Sound may seem odd but I think my brain have focus all on my left ear to adapt the balance so I could understand what people are saying. I have my friend on Skype. put the webcam on and then we talk to each others without typing the messages. There were few times I had to lipsread what my friend were saying but I think I have managed very well. If there any doubt he would message me what was that I have missed out. Funny though, he didn't have to message me very much. He was chatty, all smiling, such a charmer he is. (He will be reading this! hello!:) )

I only know the basic Signs language but never needed to use it unless there are other deaf people who need it the most. I will do my best to pick up some signs language if you help me out. Anyway, there was no signs language needed while on the webcam. just talking. Isn't that a nice feeling. W must have been talking over 4 hrs! How on earth did we get to talk for 4hrs about everything, light to photography, focus imaging, music, website and many more.

This is not possible for any deaf person. There is no possible reason how I have managed to communicate with him. I mean I have one hearing aid and i'm waiting for the switch on next week... how did i managed? I reckon using my skills that I have learned while growing up to lipsread and figure out what a person would said next. It take a lot of practices . As soon as I will get my switch on... I'm gonna practice talking to people via skype with video on and listen as much as possible. Can't wait!



3 comments:

Giles said...

Not long to go now until the big switch-on, Manda!

Good luck for tomorrow - will be thinking of you :)

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

yep i always try and use sign language with deaf people but i have never had to use it etiher! I love using the webcam too! :) Hope you switch on went well! :)

Anonymous said...

I have never used Skype, didn't think it was clear enough to lipread. Maybe you can add me and give me a practice when I get my CI switched on?