Thursday 18 December 2008

Second Tuning

I thought to myself that I might just hear something more when I go for a walk on the way to the C.I Center and see if I could pick up anything while the implant is ever so quiet. I walked through the city center, passed by the busy shopping center, only muffled sound, quiet footsteps, no sound coming out of peoples mouths. I knew I was not hearing things too great. Good thing that I did not had to wait so long for the second tuning. Most of you called it Mapping. I dunno why but maybe it more like network in the brain to re tune itself to learn new sound in a different way. Tuning or re program would be suitable for me.

As I walked along, hoping I would hear something else. I was a little disappointed to be honest. i couldn't hear a thing apart from the motorbike going vvroom and that was all I could hear. I then managed to get to the C.I center. I was a little early . I guess I just want to hear again. Sound is so important. I must not lose a day without it. Everything is so Precious.

Jackie finally got me in the room and hook me up to the computer. I think she was a bit surprised how much I need to tune up. The sound I used to hear to the computer was like a heartbeat which by now starting to sound like a simple beep. Its all good. A big step to hear more. Although she was hoping to get the high pitch to be in the same level as the low pitch but by the judge of my face, I think it was a little too loud for me to handle the high pitch at this stage. I would be ready to hear more high pitch in 2 weeks time.

Now we went to another room to do some listening test. My first test with the implant after 3 days. I did pretty well. I had to do the beep test. If you look at the sample graph here that I got here. Please note its not mine. I took it from somewhere on google. Anyway, what you can see here is frequency (Hz) across the graph is the level we hear from low to high pitch. Then you see the hearing level range (DBs) downward the graph, this is the level we would hear in our hearing. At the average hearing level is from -20 to 0 DBs. At the 1000Hz is the high pitch where I usually would be at the 110db level... with the implant = at 35DBS. At 2000hz I would normally down at 110 or 120dbs now at 40dbs finally at 4000hz I would not normally hear this at all now with the implant at 55dbs I still have a lot of work to do to get that high pitch up more. It would take some time to relearn the high pitch that I have never heard of after 25 years since I was found that I was profoundly deaf at the age of 2 half or 3 years old.

I had to do the test on the computer. I get three choices of answer and I have to hear what was said and match it to one of the answers. I only got one wrong out of 12! Thats a good start!

I feel really pleased with myself after having the implant for three days and I have managed to do well with the tests. It was unexpected. I am amazed. I thought it would take some time to adapt to the new sound as I am not hearing the way I am used to and still able to work out some environment sound in most robotic way. If you get what I mean.

On the way home, I went on the bus and I was txting some friends to let them know how I got on. I kep hearing the "ding" all the time then the bus stopped. The sound came back, I was really puzzled. What is that sound I thought. I didn't had anyone with me to confirm what it was. Then suddenly it hit me. The button that the passengers use to press to inform the driver to stop the bus. Thats it! thats where it come from! I didn't even knew that before. I knew the light come on but not the sound! wow!

Now that i got my T setting on my implant and I can finally get to listen to music. Ok its not perfect but I am hearing lots of sound .... guess again..... in the most robotic way! lol Although I could follow the beats and the way its change it tones. I knew what it was going to happen but the sound I have been listening to for years......... is not the same!!!! Boo Hiss. I will keep on listening til the tones come back to me.

I hope you are enjoying reading this. It have been quite a journey for me and everyone, even you when you are reading this.... all txting me, msn me, email me, facebook and anything you could think of..... all dying to hear from me! You guys make me smile. I'm keeping you guys keen! lol
Well Thank you for being patience with me. I will do my best to update any new sound that I will be hearing or anything out of interests.

Let me know if you think I am waffling too much! :)

5 comments:

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

aw a good tuning day then for you!

it will sound robotic til u get used to it! Patience is they key to the listening skill! :)

Enjoy ur journey of sound! I think ive run out of new sounds to hear now having mine soo long!

:)
hope u have a good christmas!

Anonymous said...

You'll get there :)

Awesome that you heard the bell on the bus today. Seems like you've got a lot of discoveries to make.

Simon

Anonymous said...

Well done manda x

Allan

Giles said...

Have a fantastic Christmas, Manda. Should be a good one now your hearing is that much improved! Best wishes for a great 2009, too :-)

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

How wonderful that you got the bus dinging after your tune up. Things just have to get better from here on out!