Friday 5 December 2008

Side Effect Week one

For people who are curious what sort of side effect that I went through in Week one.

Thursday 27th Nov :  The day of the operation.  talking too much was a sign of being nervous and trying to make people laugh.  Coming out the operation I was deffo sound very merry as I mentioned about having a nice dream. This could be the drug making me happy and relaxed.  5mins later  was demanding food and water.  The first 4 hours into the recovery, I had bad taste in my mouth (This is very common side effect) This soon come back after eating and drinking a lot.  The drug do make me feel so dry that I wanted to drink all day. This gave me excuse to keep going to the little room and I found out that my balance were all over the place. The nurse was so good to me and helped me walk across the room.  I am for one, hate asking for help but since I was in the hospital... I wasn't afraid to ask for help.. NURSE!!!!!    My balance went back to normal. Thanks goodness for that.  The worse bit of today was the tinnitus.  It was so loud I couldn't find a way to calm it down. No hearing aid for that ear since it was patched up in thick bandage. :(      No sleep at all due to discomfort.... I was so glad to bring my ipod with me so I could fall asleep.

28th Nov Friday..... Tinnitus did not calm down.  The air pressure was really tight.  Few odd dizzy spells whenever I got up too quick or looking down....  
 (what ever you do  Don't     Look    Down!!!)      

Bandage came off today and the doctor came to tell me that the operation went very well and need the xray to make sure its in the right place.    Surely enough it was. I then could go home with a little help from my friend, Simon, who lets me lend on him as we walk back home as long we pop by to the McDonald as I was very hungry. Always thinking of food! mmm    Think I got about 6hrs sleep sleeping on the wrong side.   it was very difficult to sleep on the side where I am not used to.  The drug would knock me out.  

29th Nov Sat :  Happy birthday to me!!!!!!   Tinnitus still not calm down. air pressure still very tight. took some pain killer to calm it down.  Since its my birthday and I am suppose to be resting, Danny came by to treat me a movie night while he munching my birthday cake....  charming! lol     After he left, I felt more tired so were pretty much sleeping all evening.   


30th Nov Sunday    Tinnitus starting to calm down a bit. Hair feel grogging. dry blood everywhere. good thing I'm not blond!   Nothing much happened this day.... How very boring. I was expected guests but they said they would come tomoz.

1st Dec Monday....   moping around wondering what to do.  My brother was supposed to come round. I was running around the flat looking for something to do. I would do my work but I could not focus properly.  get easily tired.   My brother and his family came round at last!  Something to do.  I was a bit concerned about climbing these stairs. I couldn't move my head very much due to the tape behind my ear.   My nephew certainly made me smile watching him doing some silly cute things.   I noticed that my brother was getting tired and wanted to go home.  I took this chance to get him to give me a lift to the nearer train station so I could go to Mam's. In Scotland!   "You are mad" my brother says.  "you can't go out there with your thingy exposed to the air! "   Forgive me for I have sin, for being bored at home but I don't care. I'm going out and no one can stop me.  

I managed to get to Scotland with no problem. Pretty much slept most of the journey.  Mam thoughts I was crazy to do it.  Well I am crazy anyway.    

2nd Dec  I slept well this time with no pain and my hair was still unwashed, all dry blood.  What can i do?  If I wash it too soon, there is a risk of infection?  There have been some theory about the hair oil have something in them that keep the ozone neutral and less chance of getting infection.  Best to leave it unwashed for few more days then.  no pain killer was taken 

3rd Dec Had enough of my hair looking a right mess.  I looked like a tramp. I can't be Audrey Hepburn with the hair like this, could I?  No This is no good.  I can't stop touching my ear.  its so numb it can't feel anything. I flicked my fingers to my ear to bring it back alive.  I did this all day!  :S   funny enough it did came back! :)     Mam agreed she would helps me to wash my hair.  well mostly on the left side (not implant area)   she was scared to touch let alone see it! poor mam!  she did well to get some washed.   Tinnitus have gone quiet although I can still hear it.   No pain at all

4th Dec   Couldn't sleep at all. could this be caused by washing my hair?   this could be the case! mmm    some odd dizzy spells  nothing else.  

5th Dec  Went home to Manchester to be ready for the Xmas lunch party tomoz  with Steve and the Bionic Manchester group. I'm looking forward to it.  slept on the train back. Think I have touched the part that, hurt a little.  Serve me right for sleeping on the implant area. oops
Thats pretty much of the week really!   All I can said is that the side effect do calm down quite quickly and make sure I was active as much as possible as well with plenty of rest, laughter, play with cats, treat Mam out for dinner, visited family. keep the mind off the pain.  Noone can believe how well I look.  I act as if it wasn't a week ago that I had the operation.  It certainly doesn't feel like a week.   

Next topic will be about the air pressure. Watch this space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of getting a turban or hat I can wear until I can wash my hair. I hate having dirty hair! I'm surprised they had to take an xray, you'd think they would see it going into the right place in the operation, LOL.