Monday 29 December 2008

Music and Me Stage One

Everybody know me for being passion about music and that I listen to the new sound as much as possible. Music is something that I could relax to, a little help to get some sleep. I was told that when I was a little baby before I have lost my hearing, I cried every time the music finished and had to restart all over again until I was fully asleep. I guess this created who I am today.

When I was 13 years old and was getting into music properly, my brother was playing Queen at the time. Not the Queen Elizabeth I'm afraid. The Band called the Queen. The rock and roll Band. The legend of Freddy Mercury. I was amazed by the sound of it and play the songs over and over until it drove my family nuts. Not just Queen but there are other music that I was playing over and over again. The only reason why I do this is because I was learning the different range of tones. Understanding the tones from bass, drum, singer's voices. The passion of music then have grew from there.

I attended to many concerts around the country in Uk, places like London, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Carlise, Glasgow and many more. Met so many people and are still friends with them to this day thanks to the facebook for keeping in touch. One of them is special to me. A girl called Sam Conley, she was my pen pal at the time - after we met at one of the concerts. We used to write to each others about music. I may have some hearing loss and have a lot to understand about music, but Sam is that person who taught me during my teens. She taught me how to be like a hearing teenager who love music, meeting new people all over the Uk. The confidence in me have grew from there. I will never forget the time where we had the sleep over and how we talk all night without any sleep. Poor Mam couldn't forget it as our voices are still ringing inside her head! Dear Sam, thanks for the lovely memories and I hope to see you again.

From there, I startled to go to the bars and clubs, even on my own just to meet new people as well listening to new sounds. I met loads of good friends this way. I was getting invites to go to the rave, festivals and many others place. Do any deaf people get to do this? I am not sure but I would love to meet any people who have. Deaf and music in technically don't mix. So how would I enjoy music with the hearing loss? well basically, with my hearing aids I only hear the the low pitch and I self taught my brain to listen all the time. I knew there was some high pitch in some music but every time the high pitch come, it just go silent then the music come back. This mean I tend to avoid listen to any female singers! Some of the Queen's songs have high pitch in them but it doesn't last too long for me to miss out.

Now that I have the implant and on the second week since my switch on, I asked for T setting so I could listen to music as much as possible. When I heard it, I was shocked. I couldn't make out any words, just the drum beats and small amount of the bass. I kept listening to music through my implant a whole day. I even tried listening to the band that I first listen to when I was young. Nothing sound the way that I heard before. I was so low and wanted to cry. I remind myself that its only in the early stage and soon will come back. The more that I listen the better it will come.

My next tuning is tomoz and I can't wait as I have not able to hear very much since Xmas eve. The high pitch have calmed down now and its time to increase the volume and frequencies.

These are the new sound I have heard so far :
Clock ticking, Countdown timer from the oven, water running, footstep, cat purring ( I heard the purring before but I had to pressed my ear against my cat at the time, now I heard it in distance) plastic bag, fingers clicks, scratching, ice tinging inside the glass, ice cream van's music, door creak,Traffic noises from inside the car. a click from the seatbelt. (Gran tried to puts on the seatbelt but it won't accept it in. kept clicking but not fully click. this usually mean she tried to put it on the wrong pad. No worry Gran, I'll put your seatbelt on for you!)




1 comment:

Katie-Louise's blog said...

Great, music will get better n better, I love them now, I hate spending a day without my ipod - i had to put up one week without me ipod coz richard took my ipod with him as i left it in my car.

Hey - just listen to gareth gates, u never know u might like him :-P